To walk in Connemara is to experience its indented rugged coastline, island, hills, mountains, lakes and rivers.
All walks are looped around Oughterard or transport can be arranged to and from the start of your walk. We cater for the independent traveller and groups. The hotel can arrange for or provide the following:
- Maps and route notes
- Transport to start and finish
- Tour guides
- Packed lunches
- Drying room for wet clothes
- Walking packages for independent travellers and groups
Starting and Finishing at the same location.
- Oughterard Heritage Walk (2.5km) – Start in village and takes in the waterfall.
- Maghera Walk (1.5hrs) – Road (mostly country). Walk on outskirts of village.
- Newvillage (2 hrs) – Lough Seecon (2km) – coillteoutdoors.ie
- Ardnageeha Loop – coillteoutdoors.ie
- Newvillage – Mass Track Trail – coillteoutdoors.ie
- Pier Road
- Leam Walk
- Diamond Hill – 2-3hrs – connemaranationalpark.ie
- Highroad – 2hrs – Ask at hotel
- Clonbur Wood – 2.5hrs – Ask at hotel
- Muckanaght – 6hrs – walkingroutes.ie
Western Way (Galway) – The Western Way is a walk from Oughterard, Co Galway to Ballycastle, Co Mayo. It takes in hills, bogs, forests. We recommend the 2 day hike to Leenane. Day one; Oughterard to Maam. Day two; Maam to Leenane. irishtrails.ie
Seanbothar – 2.5hr – irishtrails.ie
Maamturks Ridge – 27km – walkingroutes.ie